Near this gateway stood a small fort with armoury and flag staff, dating from the mid 17th.C., but demolished after the Battle of Waterloo 1815. Gateway belonged to "Belmont" a crenellated Regency House with large walled garden. Built 1817 by Maj. Barnes. Sold 1818 to Sir Joseph Scott BT., 1752-1828, who on retirement from politics became active in development of Regency Sidmouth. 1869 acquiredby William Hine-Haycock. A member of M.C.C. he did much to promote development of the cricket club. Became home of Mr. & Mrs. Wood 1896. A man of wealth and benefactor of Sidmouth, he gave town it's first steam fire engine and, as a memorial to his wife, presented Church House to the Church and its land to the Town. He died 1908 age 90. Converted to Hotel 1920.