The Kirk Port was built in 1663 in a Renaissance style to replace the earlier entrance at the west end of the churchyard. Building costs were part funded by fines levied for the profanation of the Sabbath. The sundial was added in 1679. The two stone shelters within the gate date from 1761. They were used by the elders as they collected the offerings of the congregation passing into the church.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Rutherglen Old Parish Church churchyard, Main Street, G73 1JP
Unitary Authority: South Lanarkshire Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): Rutherglen Central and North
Scottish Parliament Constituency: Rutherglen
Scottish Parliament Region: Glasgow
UK Parliament Constituency: Rutherglen and Hamilton West