This cairn was erected on the site of the former mining village of Bothwellhaugh. In its heyday in the 1920s it was a thriving community of approximately 2,000 people. At its centre the Hamilton Palace Colliery, virtually the sole employer and the way of life for the entire village. When the colliery finally closed in 1959 the village slowly died and by the 1960s nothing was left but memories. To all the people who ever lived there it was always affectionately known as "The Pailis"
Bothwellhaugh was a Scottish coal mining village occupied from the mid-1880s until the 1960s, when it was abandoned. The village was based next to the towns of Motherwell and Hamilton in Lanarkshire, about ten miles south-east of Glasgow, now within Strathclyde Country Park.There were two coal mines on the site, the Hamilton Palace Colliery, operated by the Bent Colliery Company. Housing was developed from the late 1880s until 1905.The remains of the Bothwellhaugh Roman Fort and a Roman bath house are based in the park, around a days march from the Antonine Wall, to this day.James Hamilton of Bothwellhaugh, became notorious for being the assassin of James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, Regent of Scotland, at Linlithgow in 1570.