Montpellier Baths. This land once formed part of the Crown Hotel estate owned by Joseph Thackwray, who owned a pump room in Chinese style over the strong sulphur spring in 1822, admittance to the surrounding pleasure gardens being through this ticket office. The Crown Baths, built in 1834 and later known as the Montpellier Baths, were the best in Harrogate until the completion of the New Victoria Baths (now the council offices) in 1871. George Dawson bought the estate in 1869 and commissioned the architect J.H. Hirst to build a great new pump room. In 1888 Harrogate Corporation purchased the estate for £29, 500 and launched a national competition for a magnificent new building - the Royal Baths. The Pump Room was demolished in 1954 to make way for a car park.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: Montpellier Gardens
District Council: Harrogate Borough Council
District Council Ward: Low Harrogate
County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Harrogate Central
UK Parliament Constituency: Harrogate and Knaresborough