Clifton House and Connaught House blue plaque in Sidmouth
Clifton House and Connaught House
Nos.4 and 5 Clifton Place, built c. 1810 and c. 1805 as lodging houses by Mr. Heffer, a prosperous local fisherman, and called Heffer's Row. Sometime in 1810 No5 was rented by Lord Le Despencer while he was building Knowle Cottage. Originally both thatched, a fire in 1944 severely damaged No.5 which was rebuilt in 1848.
Clifton House, previously known as Sandy Tavern, is a historic building located at 473 Bethlehem Pike in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania.During the autumn of 1777, George Washington's Continental Army spent six weeks camped at nearby Whitemarsh. Colonels Clement Biddle (the "Quaker General" and member of one of Philadelphia's prominent families) and Stephen Moylan, and General George Wheedon, were quartered here during the encampment.The house that currently stands on the property was built in 1801. At the time of the American Revolution, it was known as the Sandy Tavern.Today, the Clifton House is a library and museum operated by the Fort Washington Historical Society, and also serves as the society's headquarters.