George Webster, Francis Webster, and Miles Thompson white plaque in Kendal
This name Webster commemorates Kendal's most distinguished architects. Francis Webster and his son George. In 1788 Francis Webster joined a local mason in premises in this yard. He built the obelisk on Castle How and designed two of the town's bridges, the Friends Meeting House and a number of fine houses. George Webster joined his father in 1818 and designed three of Kendal's churches, the Whitehall Assembly Rooms and the Bank of Westmorland.
From 1845 - 1872 the practice was continued by Miles Thompson, the Websters' former draughtsman, who designed Kirkland School, much of Collin Croft, Beast Banks and Workmen's News Room. Sand Aire House, Kent Terrace and Aynam Lodge are among the many other fine buildings in Kendal designed by the Webster Practice.
Webster's Yard was developed by Russell Armer Ltd. and designed by Mike Walford.
George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.