Guglielmo Marconi and George Kemp black plaque in Ballycastle

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

To recall the historic occasion in 1898 when Marchese Marconi and his assistant George Kemp established wireless communication with Rathlin to report to Lloyds Station at Torr Head on ships passing along the north coast of the island

Guglielmo Marconi, 1st Marquis of Marconi (Italian: [ɡuʎˈʎɛːlmo maɾˈkoːni]; 25 April 1874 – 20 July 1937) was an Italian inventor and electrical engineer, known for his pioneering work on long-distance radio transmission and for his development of Marconi's law and a radio telegraph system. Marconi is often credited as the inventor of radio, and he shared the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun "in recognition of their contributions to the development of wireless telegraphy". An entrepreneur, businessman, and founder in Britain in 1897 of The Wireless Telegraph & Signal Company (which became the Marconi Company), Marconi succeeded in making a commercial success of radio by innovating and building on the work of previous experimenters and physicists. In 1924 the King of Italy ennobled Marconi as a Marchese (marquis).

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Ballycastle

Tell us what you know about Guglielmo Marconi and George Kemp black plaque in Ballycastle

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.