Samuel Pepys brass plaque in Salisbury

Old George Hotel
The Great Hall is thought to date from the reign of Edward II but the facade is largely 15th Century with later bay windows. The Inn is first mentioned in 1378 and was bought in 1414 by The City Corporation who owned it until 1863 when the licence lapsed.
Samuel Pepys stayed here in 1668 and at that time plays were acted in the yard and the Free School was held here.
The ground floor was removed and a new steel frame inserted in 1967 by the Hammerson Group of Companies as part of The Old George Mall Shopping Centre to which the new Arcade now forms the main entrance.
The post on which this plaque is fixed was hand carved by a local craftsman to match the other which is original. The Granite Setts which are recessed into the paving, mark the position of the original timber posts.

Samuel Pepys PRS, MP, JP, (/ˈpiːps/; 23 February 1633 – 26 May 1703) was an English naval administrator and Member of Parliament who is now most famous for the diary he kept for a decade while still a relatively young man. Although Pepys had no maritime experience, he rose by patronage, hard work and his talent for administration, to be the Chief Secretary to the Admiralty under both King Charles II and subsequently King James II.His influence and reforms at the Admiralty were important in the early professionalisation of the Royal Navy.The detailed private diary Pepys kept from 1660 until 1669 was first published in the 19th century, and is one of the most important primary sources for the English Restoration period. It provides a combination of personal revelation and eyewitness accounts of great events, such as the Great Plague of London, the Second Dutch War and the Great Fire of London.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Salisbury

Tell us what you know about Samuel Pepys brass plaque in Salisbury

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.