John Watson's School 1828-1975. This building, originally John Watson's Institution, was designed by William Burn in 1825, opening in 1828 under the aegis of the Society of H.M.Writers to the Signet. Its original purpose was to house, maintain and educate destitute children. The institution became John Watson's School in 1934, enrolling fee-paying pupils whilst maintaining its original purpose and by 1957 the school offered continuous education to all pupils from 5-18 years. In 1975, despite its growing reputation, John Watson's School unexpectedly closed after the withdrawal of its grant. The building reopened as the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in 1984.
Plaque Colour: Slate
Local area map loading...
Location: 75 Belford Road
Unitary Authority: City of Edinburgh Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): Inverleith
Scottish Parliament Constituency: Edinburgh Central
Scottish Parliament Region: Lothian
UK Parliament Constituency: Edinburgh North and Leith