Aldgate (closed in 1760)

Map loading...

Aldgate was the eastern-most gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End of London. It gives its name to a City ward bounded by White Kennet Street in the north and Crutched Friars in the south, taking in Leadenhall and Fenchurch Streets, which remain principal thoroughfares through the City, each splitting from the short street named Aldgate that connects to Aldgate High Street. The road is situated 2.3 miles (4 km) east north-east of Charing Cross.John Cass's school, where a plaque records the former placement of London Wall, is sited on the north side of Aldgate (the street).

Source: dbpedia

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.