Turkish bronze gun and John Duckworth bronze plaque in London
This Turkish bronze gun was cast in 1790-91 (AH 1212) in the reign of
the Ottoman Sultan Selim III. It weighs 5.2 tonnes, fired stone shot
of just over 56 kilos and is one of two taken by Admiral Sir John Duckworth
from Kinali Island in the Sea of Marmara in 1807.
The gun was presented to the Royal Naval Asylum at Greenwich by
HRH Prince Ernest, Duke of Cumberland on 21 October 1807.
The cast-iron display carriage was made later by the Royal Carriage
Department of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Its decorative plaques
commemorate British naval victories.
In 1821 the Asylum became part of the Greenwich Hospital School,
renamed the Royal Hospital School in 1892. The School moved to
Holbrook, Suffolk, in 1933: its Greenwich buildings are now
the National Maritime Museum. The gun also went to Holbrook until
returned for display here in 2007 with financial support from
Sir John Thomas Duckworth, 1st Baronet, GCB (9 February 1748 – 31 August 1817) was an officer of the Royal Navy, serving during the Seven Years' War, the American War of Independence, the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, as the Governor of Newfoundland during the War of 1812, and a member of the British House of Commons during his semi-retirement. Duckworth, a vicar's son, achieved much in a naval career that began at the age of 11.Serving with most of the great names of the Royal Navy during the later 18th and early 19th centuries, he fought almost all of Britain's enemies on the seas at one time or another, including a Dardanelles operation that would be remembered a century later during the First World War. He was in command at the Battle of San Domingo, the last great fleet action of the Napoleonic Wars.